Missions Month 2019: "I Love to Tell the Story!"
The Missionaries Are Coming!
We’re pleased to welcome some great folks to share with us during our Missions emphasis month. Here’s some brief information:
Bob & Dolor Rogers, missionaries in the Philippines will start us off on February 3 at the 11am Worship Service. They have been on home assignment since last spring and are heading back to their work in the Philippines a few days after their visit with us!
February 3 is Super Bowl Sunday, and so we’ll have our “Kick-off Party” at 4pm, followed by evening worship at 5pm with Joy Phillips, who served for many years in Community Health in Kenya, Africa. Joy now serves as World Gospel Mission’s (WGM) Regional Director for Europe, Asia & Oceania and we’re excited to hear of how God is using her in this expanded ministry.
Bob Alber works with Wycliffe in Texas with missionary kids and Barb works in Wycliffe’s graphic art department. Bob will be with us on Sunday February 10 in the 11am service. In addition, he will be sharing with the men at the Men’s Missionary Breakfast on Saturday, Feb. 9 at 8:30am.
In the 6pm evening service on Feb. 10, our own Brooklawn Missions Team, fresh back from their Hurricane relief work in North Carolina will be sharing about how God used them to make a difference during their work January 12-19. Don’t miss our own Team’s time of sharing!
Anna Key will be sharing on February 17 at 11am. She works as a teacher at Black Forest Academy in Kandern, Germany. In addition, Anna will be the speaker at the Women’s Missionary Dinner on Monday, February 18 at 6:30pm.
Dave Bailey, Jr. will be here from Ranch Hope for the evening service on February 17 at 6pm. That will follow our Homemade Soup & Meatball sandwich dinner at 5pm. Plan to come!
Our final Sunday on February 24 will feature the ministry of Handi*Vangelism Ministries.
Tara Kelley, director of Handi*Camp, HVMI’s core ministry of summer camps for disabled children, youth and adults will be in children’s Sunday School at 9:30am.
The morning (11am) and evening services (6pm) will have several of Handi*Vangelism Ministries International’s team sharing updates, including their new Executive Director, Kyle Robinson. HVMI’s varied ministries to the disabled, grieving and abused are unmatched in its impact. BUMC has supported their ministry since the beginning of our Missions Month program in 1968. The evening service will also feature special music brought by some of our own church family. There is a Covered Dish supper at 5:00pm mixed in there, too, so don’t miss the great concluding day of our 2019 Mission Month!
Report from the 100th Anniversary Committee
Brooklawn UMC is celebrating our 100th year of ministry in our community! We have an anniversary committee which is making plans for our special time of celebrating, and we’d like to let you know some of those plans.
• We have fantastic Anniversary T-shirts, polos, sweatshirts, hats, totes and other items for sale with two different logos which celebrate our 100 years for all to see. If you’d like one or more, see the order form in The Lamplighter or on the memorial table in church. We will be ordering at various times as we get enough requests.
• Our church had its first worship service on Nov. 30, 1919. Nov. 30, 2019 is a Saturday, so we felt it was an appropriate day for an anniversary celebration dinner. We will be holding a catered dinner right here in town at the American Legion Post #72. It’s a community event, and the Legion Hall is very close to the location where the first service was held on New Broadway. So save the date!
• The next day, December 1st, will be our anniversary worship service. (Like the first service in 1919, it will be the 1st Sunday of Advent!)
• We will be producing a new Pictorial Directory of our church family and friends in the Spring, so we hope you’ll plan to have your picture taken so you will be in it. Pictures will be taken April 4th, 5th & 6th! Keep your eyes open for how you can sign up for the portrait days. If you’re away, there is an option of getting your portrait at another location and still being included in our directory. We’ll have info on that option as the dates get closer.
• In June, we usually have a “backyard barbeque” for our church family. This year we are planning a special “front yard” barbeque/block party on Maude Ave. and inviting the whole neighborhood/town! Plan to come out for great music, fun activities and fantastic food on Saturday afternoon June 8th (rain date Sunday afternoon June 9)!
• We also hope to produce a new anniversary video and history, and we are hoping you will be willing to contribute items to it! We’d like to interview some of our long term members and have them share some memories, but we want everyone who is willing to share memories. So, look over the following questions (which we have had our 50 year members write out responses to when we recognize them), and feel free to write out some of your thoughts. Include your name, please, and we’ll have a box on the back table of the church where you can deposit your responses.
1. What is your favorite memory or memories of the church?
2. What does the church mean to you?
3. How has the church blessed your life spiritually?
4. What advice would you give to our younger members?
5. What would you like to see our church accomplish in the next 5-10 years?
6. What is your favorite hymn?
7. What is your favorite Bible verse, book of the Bible, or Bible story/ Why?
8. How did you come to belong to our church?
9. What people from the church family have influenced you over the years?
We're on Facebook!
Keep up to date through our Facebook page! We try to keep everything current on this site, but our Facebook page is sometimes even more up to date! Visit our page and give us a few "Likes!" Do you realize that everytime you "like" something on Facebook, everybody you are friends with will see that "like"? What easier, better way to spread the word about Brooklawn UMC, than to network through social media to all your friends about your church family!! So "Like" us on Facebook. Go to www.facebook.com/brooklawnumc and check us out!