Brooklawn UMC Christian Nursery School is pleased to announce the opening of registrations for the 2019-2020 school year of our Nursery School program. This Fall begins their 46th year of providing a quality, loving, and distinctively Christian pre-school experience for hundreds of 3 and 4 year olds. Parents interested in having a child in the Nursery School this Fall, may call the church office at (856) 456-0370 and give the child’s name & birthdate, as well as phone number & address or they may send the information by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. There will also be an OPEN HOUSE on Wednesday, April 10th from 12:00-1:00pm when parents may come with their child to see the school and begin registration.
BUMC Christian Nursery School meets Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings from 9:00-11:30am beginning September 10, 2019. There is a $30 registration fee and the tuition is only $30 per week. All children, regardless of race, religion or national origin are welcome at BUMC CNS.
Holy Week Services
The week between Palm Sunday and Easter is a very holy and sacred time for us as Christians. Our church has several special worship times during this week filled with meaning for us and which will enhance your spiritual life.
April 14: Palm Sunday—Morning worship at 11am our Church Choir will be sharing their Easter Cantata. It is called “Cornerstone!” and speaks powerfully of the victory our Savior won when He died and rose again and the rock solid faith we have because of that. Palm fronds will be given to all in attendance and we’ll close the service with all singing the traditional hymn: The Palms.
April 18: Holy Thursday—7:30pm service: remembering the Last Supper Jesus had with His disciples in the Upper Room. We will celebrate Communion together 12 at a time in our own “upper room.” A very special time of reflection and remembrance!
April 19: Good Friday—We have a traditional three hour service from 12 Noon to 3pm, which commemorates the hours of darkness when Jesus was on the cross. During these hours, we have seven mini services (about 25 minutes each) focused on the Seven Last Words or Sayings of Jesus from the Cross. Each section includes hymns, scripture, special music and a meditation by one of our lay people on each of the seven times Jesus spoke from the cross. You may come and go as needed in between each segment or stay for the full time. We know it will be a blessing if you can come.
April 21: Easter Sunday—6:30am “Sonrise” Service—a joyous celebration of the risen Christ as we remember the empty tomb.
9:30am Sunday School Easter musical
11:00am Celebration of the Resurrection: great singing and music and Pastor Amey’s message on the truth of Christ’s resurrection. Don’t miss the greatest day in the church year!
Report from the 100th Anniversary Committee
Brooklawn UMC is celebrating our 100th year of ministry in our community! We have an anniversary committee which is making plans for our special time of celebrating, and we’d like to let you know some of those plans.
• We have fantastic Anniversary T-shirts, polos, sweatshirts, hats, totes and other items for sale with two different logos which celebrate our 100 years for all to see. If you’d like one or more, see the order form in The Lamplighter or on the memorial table in church. We will be ordering at various times as we get enough requests.
• Our church had its first worship service on Nov. 30, 1919. Nov. 30, 2019 is a Saturday, so we felt it was an appropriate day for an anniversary celebration dinner from 5:00-8:00pm. We will be holding a catered dinner right here in town at the American Legion Post #72. It’s a community event, and the Legion Hall is very close to the location where the first service was held on New Broadway. So save the date!
• The next day, December 1st, will be our anniversary worship service. (Like the first service in 1919, it will be the 1st Sunday of Advent!)
• We are producing a new Pictorial Directory of our church family and friends. We hope you’ll have your picture taken so you will be in it. Pictures will be taken April 4th, 5th & 6th! You may sign up for a date and time at: https://booknow-lifetouch.appointment-plus.com/ylxq0pcx/. If you’re away, there is an option of getting your portrait at another location and still being included in our directory. We have info on that option at the church.
• In June, we usually have a “backyard barbeque” for our church family. This year we are planning a special “front yard” barbeque/block party on Maude Ave. and inviting the whole neighborhood/town! Plan to come out for great music, fun activities and fantastic food on Saturday afternoon June 8th from 4:00-7:00pm (rain date Sunday afternoon June 9)!
• We also hope to produce a new anniversary video and history, and we are hoping you will be willing to contribute items to it! We’d like to interview some of our long term members and have them share some memories, but we want everyone who is willing to share memories. So, look over the following questions (which we have had our 50 year members write out responses to when we recognize them), and feel free to write out some of your thoughts. Include your name, please, and we’ll have a box on the back table of the church where you can deposit your responses.
1. What is your favorite memory or memories of the church?
2. What does the church mean to you?
3. How has the church blessed your life spiritually?
4. What advice would you give to our younger members?
5. What would you like to see our church accomplish in the next 5-10 years?
6. What is your favorite hymn?
7. What is your favorite Bible verse, book of the Bible, or Bible story/ Why?
8. How did you come to belong to our church?
9. What people from the church family have influenced you over the years?
We're on Facebook!
Keep up to date through our Facebook page! We try to keep everything current on this site, but our Facebook page is sometimes even more up to date! Visit our page and give us a few "Likes!" Do you realize that everytime you "like" something on Facebook, everybody you are friends with will see that "like"? What easier, better way to spread the word about Brooklawn UMC, than to network through social media to all your friends about your church family!! So "Like" us on Facebook. Go to www.facebook.com/brooklawnumc and check us out!